Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day - Let's Unite to Fight Poverty

Did you know that today is Blog Action Day? Bloggers all over the world are committed to making a difference in the lives of others today and to fight poverty.


My friends Katja and Jessica along with the other Eleven Moms are raising money for Project Peanut Butter, and Katja explains it on her site:
Project Peanut Butter was founded by Professor Mark Manary, M.D., a pediatrician at St. Louis Children’s Hospital and a professor of pediatric medicine at Washington University School of Medicine. He developed Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF), a food that offers a 95% recovery rate for severely malnourished children. This food is peanut butter based with added dairy, vitamins and mineral and is made locally minimizing the distribution costs. The peanut butter based RUTF doesn't have to be refrigerated and can be administered at home. This food raises children's recovery rate from 30% to 90%.
This is a cause that I feel is so very worthy, so I chose to support their efforts today by skipping my latte and donating money to Project Peanut Butter via Katja's site. They are asking for anyone who is able to donate just a dollar-- every little bit helps. Plus, as Eleven Moms, WalMart is matching all of the money that they raise today. A one dollar donation from you becomes two dollars with your help, so please visit her site and donate to Project Peanut Butter today.

A $15 donation will provide one malnourished child with the full treatment, increasing their recovery chances from 30% to 90%. So if you are so inclined, sponsor an entire treatment for a child, and another child will also benefit from it because your donation will be matched.

In addition to my donation, I have also volunteered with Blog Action Day to use my language skills to help them translate French sites into English. If you can't donate, check out the Blog Action Day website to see how else you can get involved in making a difference and standing up to fight against poverty.

If you choose to donate, please leave me a comment here or send me an email to let me know and I will give you 3 extra entries into the very special contest that we have starting here this afternoon for a brand new Dyson!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for supporting Project Peanut Butter and spread the good word on everything they do. They've been so supportive of my efforts as a "Mom" which has made it really rewarding for me. Can't tell you how much i appreciate it! awesome meeting you at blog world. stay in touch. colleen :)

Michele said...

Thank you for letting me know about Project Peanut Butter! What a wonderful organization! I've signed the petition and donated through Katja's blog.

Thanks so much!!
Michele R.(CA)
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com