Saturday, September 6, 2008

The One Hundred: Nina Garcia

I am a self-proclaimed fashionista. I enjoy trends, and I love to watch the runways at fashion week, but overall my style tends to be more classic than trendy. I am fairly skilled at knowing which trends just won't work for me, and good at knowing which ones will. I recently had the opportunity to review a book that I almost instantly fell in love with, a book that seemed to be written just for me. Obviously I know it wasn't, so in that respect, I felt I should share it with you, because it is a book I feel that anyone at any age could greatly benefit from!

If you're a fan of Project Runway, then the author of this book, Nina Garcia, needs no introduction. This is her second book, the first one being The Little Black Book of Style. This book, called The One Hundred, contains the 100 pieces that Garcia feels will remain classic pieces, the timeless items that every woman should own.

The One Hundred not only lists Garcia's top 100 items, but it gives women a starting point when looking to create a closet full of timeless pieces. Of course, she also stresses in the book the importance of self-editing -- knowing what looks good on you and what things will just never work. (For instance, her suggestion that I keep a pair of white jeans in my closet is just not one that I'm likely to take to heart.) I adore the suggestions of the perfect ballet flat, the monogrammed stationery, pearl necklace, and the pea coat, to name a few.

You can purchase The One Hundred on Amazon on sale for $13.97. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best style books ever written. It's going on my shelf right next to my Sephora Beauty Book!

3 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

I'm working my way through this book right now, and I have to say I'm loving it!! :-)

PrincessSteph said...

i've got it on my bedside table and have written about it on my blog also. I am avoiding reading it to see if I can come up with a list of my top 100 that I recommend. I am at about 50 and working on it. I'll let you know when I get there. I then want to compare what she has listed and what I have. I can't wait to see the differences.......

Princess

Lynn said...

Haven't got it yet, but I'm OBSESSED with P.R., Heidi, Tim, Michael (GOD LOVE MICHAEL KORS) and Nina...since season 1. I'm adding this to my must read list.
Thanks!